Why not try Grandma Lenas’s Parmigiana (Melanzane di nonna Lena)? TASTE AND MAKE YOUR GUESTS
Grandma Lena’s Parmigiana
Meal preparation time: 3 hours Cooking time: 15/20 minutes Total: 3 hours and 15/20 minutes Ingredients for 4 people: 4 or 5 aubergines, plain flour 700g to be on the safe side. 4/6 eggs, salt, 3/4 mozzarella balls, sunflower-seed oil, parmesan cheese, buy @ least 250g.
Sauce ingredients: 2 bottles of tomato passata, I recommend the organic passata, 1 medium size red onion, olive oil, 2 leaves of basil. Prepare the sauce before you start frying the aubergines. Sauce: Place some olive oil in a pot and add the finely chopped onion, keep it on fire until the onion goes golden, then add the tomato sauce. Stir and salt according to your taste and add some basil. Make it cook for at least 20 minutes @ low flame.
Peel the aubergines and cut them into regular slices (not too fine, nor too thick). Preserve them in salt for about 2 hours in order to remove the bitterness.
- Wash and dry them with a clean cloth.
- Put eggs in a bowl with a pinch of salt and beat them gently.
- Place some flour in a bowl and spread some sunflower-seed oil in a saucepan. Leave it over a high flame until it is hot.
- Flour the slices of aubergines, then put them in the egg mixture and fry them.
- Spread some tomato sauce in a pyrex and lay the first layer of fried aubergines. Add tomato sauce, mozzarella slices and parmesan.
- Repeat the procedure until the last layer of aubergines and cover it well with tomato sauce, mozzarella and parmesan. Cook it in the oven for about 15/20 minutes @180 degrees and switch it off when the mozzarella has melt and become golden brown.
The original Nonna Lena’s Tiramisu’
No need to put any liquor, this recipe follows the traditional art of making tiramisu. In fact, tiramisu was initially born without liquor as was destined to adults and children. However, as there is plenty of coffee in the dessert I would suggest to replace coffee with hot chocolate for children if you do not want to have a sleepless night!
Ingredients for 8 people: cocoa powder for sprinkling, mocha coffee enough to deep the savoiardi biscuits. 400 gr of savoiardi, in English lady fingers. 500 gr Mascarpone, 6 medium eggs, 120gr of sugar plus 2 spoons of coffee (optional).
Instructions to make a yummy tiramisu
Procedure: Prepare the coffee and leave it to cool. Divide the egg whites from the yolks. Beat the egg whites till stiff; in a medium bowl place the sugar and the yolks and beat them until you achieve a smooth mixture. Then add mascarpone and beat all together until you get a frothy, homogeneous cream. With a wooden spoon, slowly pour the egg whites into the cream and slowly mix them stirring them from the bottom towards the top. Take a baking pan or an oven dish. Start dipping the savoiardi in the coffee, I personally prefer to give them a quick dip.
Then start placing them horizontally and cover with a thick layer of cream. Start again dipping the savoiardi, this time place them vertically. Cover up with all the cream left and sprinkle the cocoa powder on top. Put in the fridge for at least three hours. Please be aware Tiramisu contains raw eggs and therefore has to be refrigerated, consume within two days.
Would you like to learn Italian whilst making these two Italian traditional dishes and more?
Get your first lesson for free here